Friday, October 22, 2010

Friday Favorites: Party Recipes

Fall means lots of get together-- parties, pot lucks, tailgates, you name it. I'm excited to share a few of my favorite "take alongs" for these occasions. You can always count on me for appetizers or desserts. (But, really it's A who makes the desserts, I'm no baker.) And no, I'm not giving away the "famous" salsa recipe. Those who know me, know that will go with me to the grave.

My FAVORITE appetizer recipe  is from one of my best friends Steph. After she made it for a friend's wedding shower, we all began to request it for special occasions, and now I make it all the time! She has a great 7 Layer Dip recipe too!

Chokes & Cheese Dip
via
14.5 oz can quartered artichokes (drained)
1 cup mayo
1 cup sour cream
4 oz can green chilis
2 cloves garlic (minced)
8 oz shredded parmesan cheese
cracked pepper (to taste)
Preheat oven to 350. 
Mix all ingredients, except for 1/4 c of parmesan, and bake in an oven safe dish for 25 -30 minutes. Sprinkle remaining parmesan and bake until cheese is melted. 
Serve with pita wedges or pita chips.


The Easiest Guacamole You'll Ever Make
This one is courtesy of another bestie, Sarah, who I know would suggest using Sadie's salsa. It's her family's favorite!
via
2 ripe avocados
1/4 c salsa
cumin
chili powder
salt
pepper
Scoop out avocado into a bowl, add salsa (more if necessary), and cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper to taste. Done. Seriously it's that easy. I always squeeze a little lime on top to keep the avocado from browning and add a little fresh cilantro, but not completely necessary. 
Serve with chips, obviously.


A's Sugar Cookies
This recipe came from A's grandma, and he has perfected it! 
True story: I asked him bake these for a friend's bachelorette party in the shape of lingerie. He did, but  he wouldn't decorate them. Ha!
lingerie cookies

Preheat oven to 350. 

1/2 c butter, softened
1 c sugar
1 med egg or 2 small egg yokes
Beat these ingredients together, then blend in:
2 c flour (sifted)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla
Shape into a ball and chill for 1 hour. Then roll out and cut with cookie cutters. Bake for 10-12 minutes. (Makes 3 dozen)

To glaze the top: 
3/4 c sifted powdered sugar
3-4 tsp water
food coloring
Mix together and brush on warm cookies. 


Mexican Wedding Cookies
These were my favorite growing up! It's a family tradition to make these around Christmas.

via
Preheat oven to 350. 
1 c butter, softened
1/3 c granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp water
Mix together, then mix in:
2 c all purpose flour
1/2 c chopped pecans (or peanuts, walnuts)
Shape into crescents. Place on cookie sheet and bake for 15 - 20 minutes. Cool and then roll in powdered sugar.  

1 comment:

Sarah and Nick Marquez said...

Yum!!! Now I want to have a party and make all of these recipes! And YES!!! We love Sadie's Salsa!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...