Wednesday, January 18, 2012

New Years Resolutions

I love resolutions. I might be one of the few that does. The idea of pushing a reset button on life and starting fresh is always inspiring to me. I love opening a new calendar, making plans, and getting excited for whats to come. This year is no different. I have three missions. Missions, rather than resolutions. Makes them seem less dreamy and more necessary.

  1. Make a plan and stick to it. 
  2. Be kind to myself.
  3. Don't rush through life; make time for the ones I love. 
1. Make a plan and stick to it. I love starting new projects, but have trouble with the follow through. This year, I have just few goals that I would like to achieve. I consider these sub-missions.
  • Redecorate our living room and master bedroom & bath. These rooms have been badly neglected since we have moved into the house, and ironically they are the rooms we spend the most time in. So, I'm making a plan and sticking to it. Giving myself the whole year to achieve this goal.
  • Run a half marathon. This has been a goal of mine for sometime, but this is the year. This. is. the. year. I set myself up for success by signing up for 10K in March and currently following a training plan to get there. We've joined a gym with great childcare and I've been meeting friends for workouts to keep me accountable.
  • Find a flexible, rewarding part time job. This might be the most difficult of the three. I would like to spend as much of my time with my daughters as possible, but still find time to develop a rewarding career for myself. Both girls will be in MDO starting this Fall, so I'm giving myself until then to find or develop something since MDO will give me more time on my own. 
2. Be kind to myself. I've always had trouble with this. I think most people do. But in order to achieve my goals and not give up on myself, I consider it an important step. We are human. We make mistakes. We can't always be perfect. That's okay. This is my mantra.

3. Don't rush through life; make time for the ones I love. I heard a quote recently that I really appreciated: "Ladies are never in a hurry." Obviously, that's not true, but I think the point is that a lady never shows it. My favorite people are the ones that breeze into a room and make time to talk to everyone, genuinely interested in what they have to say and make them feel important because they took the time to stop and listen. I make an effort to do this with my girls. I want them to know how important their thoughts and feelings are to me. I feel that it's important to extend this to my circle of family and friends and, really, anyone I come in contact with. 

So, do you make resolutions? What are they?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...