Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Week 37: Interesting Development

Yesterday really didn't go as planned... I had a doctors appointment in the afternoon that A attended with me to do a routine check on baby girl, and see how far along I was progressing. At week 36, OBs will usually ask to see you once a week to check on the position of the baby and how you are opening up "down below". 

My doctor isn't particularly generous with ultrasounds, so when she completed the exam and said "let's have a look at her", I knew something was up. Turns out baby is breeched. A Frank breech to be exact. The funny thing is she turned in a week. Baby girl has been head down since 26 weeks according to our doctor, and decided to turn now. This complicates things a bit. It means I'll mostly likely have a cesarean (read c-section) to deliver baby if she decides to stay in this position. Some doctors will deliver a breeched baby vaginally, but after reading about potential complications I just don't feel comfortable with that option. I realize this isn't the end of the world. I realize there are much worse things that could have come our way, but in my heart I can't help but feel a little anxious about the heath of my baby and her delivery and disappointed that my birth experience might not be what we expected and my recovery time will be lengthened. And, I'll admit, I'm scared of surgery. The good news is, we have some options.

We have scheduled an external version procedure with our doctor on Friday where she will try to move the baby by pressing on my uterus from the outside to guide her into position. I will be given medication to relax my uterus, but doc warned me this procedure will be uncomfortable. There is a 50/50 chance this will work, and there is a chance that it cause the baby distress and a c-section would have to be performed immediately. She couldn't tell me how likely that would be be. Another cause for my anxiety. Doc recommended attempting this procedure no later than this week when my anminotic fluids are at a safe level and there is still room for baby to move. Attempting this procedure any later would up the risk for causing the baby distress.

I have an appointment with an acupuncturist this afternoon. At my doctor's suggestion, the acupuncturist will perform a Chinese medicine technique which is supposed encourage the baby to move on her own. When speaking with the acupuncturist on the phone, they said that this technique is something I can also do at home. I'll keep you posted.

There is also a chiropractic technique, referred to as the Webster Breech Technique, that we are looking into. I've never been to a chiropractor so we are asking our friends and family for some recommendations before scheduling an appointment.

Lastly, after much googling we found some safe "at home" techniques to try; playing music or talking near my pelvis, raising my hips higher than my heart by lying on pillows, placing an ice pack or something cold at the top of my belly, or getting into a pool and diving underwater all in an attempt to encourage the baby to move on her own or using gravity to our advantage. I also have a call into my yoga studio for their suggestions on poses or positions.

I know it seems like I am going to a lot of trouble to move this baby, but that's the way I operate. I want to know that I've done everything I can to help baby girl get where she needs to be. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers and I'll be sure to keep you posted.

Here are my stats this week:
How Far Along: 37 weeks. Baby is fully cooked.

Total Weight Gain/Loss: 21.5, I swear it was the heeled sandals I was wearing that gave me an extra pound--should have taken those off.

Maternity Clothes: Yes, I wear them. Ugh.

Gender: Girl, and we will double check again on Friday. I should have asked during the ultrasound yesterday, but I was preoccupied.

Movement: Yes! And now that I realize what position she is in, She likes to move her feet a lot at my side, and nod her head at the base of my ribs

Sleep:
 Good. Lavender bath salts are amazing

What I miss: This week I've really felt a need to be more active. But, I can't walk more than 5 minutes without having a contraction. Hoping to get some exercise in the pool.

Cravings: Still fruit, and lots and lots of water and gatorade.

Symptoms: Contraction city!


Best Moment this week: Hoping this happens at the end of the week when we can say we have a baby girl in position!

1 comment:

danielle said...

isnt it crazy how our babies do not always work with our plans for them?!?! i talk to mckinley about it daily. but seriously friend, i will pray that she turns again!! but if you are interested, i did find a super cute gown on etsy to help me feel better about my csection recovery, if you would like the link. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...