Friday, May 27, 2011

Friday Favorites: Working It Out

Quick baby update:
So, this is what I was busy doing yesterday morning...
My husband performing the treatment that the acupuncturist prescribed. 
On Wednesday afternoon, I went in for my appointment and to my surprise no needles were involved. Instead they burned moxa sticks next to my little toes to encourage movement from the baby. Baby did move quite a bit during the treatment and again while A was performing it yesterday, per doctor's orders. One of the stranger things I've asked sweet hubby to do for me, but he happy obliged. What a guy :) 

I have also tried a variety of yoga poses that were suggested to me by a prenatal yoga instructor:
  • downward dog
  • dolphin pose
  • cat/cow
  • bridge
  • feet up the wall 
These positions get your hips higher than your heart which is supposed to encourage the baby to move into the correct position.

Doing these poses felt great and I can't wait to get back into yoga and working out regularly. Which leads me to my Friday Favorites, some great trainer tips from my friend and trainer, Amity Ponsetti with Lift Fitness.

Amity got me back in pre-pregnancy shape after I had Lily in no time at all. Her boot camp style workouts are challenging, but she is nothing but supportive and reassuring. My very own Jillian Michaels without all the yelling-- well maybe a little yelling. Kidding Amity! 

Since I have been dying to be more active lately, I asked Amity to give me a workout I could do while I'm still with child and I'd thought I would share her wonderful suggestion with you today:


Assisted Plie Squat:
Face wall. Spread feet a bit more than hip-width apart. Turn knees out. Start with legs straight and place hands on wall. Bend knees and lower torso towards floor. Straighten your legs, pressing upwards through your heels. Repeat with 10 or 12 repetitions. Perform 2-3 sets.

Assisted Standing Pushup:
Face wall. Feet again hip-width apart. Place hands on wall, arms straight. Pull belly-button inward towards your spine. Keep your back straight. Bend elbows and bring chest towards wall. Push back. Repeat with 10 or 12 repetitions. Perform 2-3 sets.

Standing Leg Lifts:
Stand tall, lift one straightened leg out to the side and return to start. Use wall for balance if needed.   Repeat 10-15 repetitions on each leg.  Perform 2-3 sets.

Wood Chopper:
Grab a very light weight (optional) with both hands and stand with your feet shoulder-width apart. Let the dumbbell hang naturally in front of your thighs. Squat down until your knees are bent
. Keeping your elbows slightly bent, brace your abs and press up to standing, swinging the dumbbell up until it's directly overhead. Lower the dumbbell back toward the floor. That's 1 rep - Repeat with 10 or 12 repetitions. Perform 2-3 sets.

I love this for a quick 15 minute daily workout, pregnant or not! Thanks again Amity! 
If you would like to find out more info about Lift Fitness check out Amity's website and facebook page.

Happy long weekend y'all!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...